Monday, October 15, 2007

Confederacy of Dunces

I had been recommended this book by good friends and family for years. Awhile back I started the read, but decided it was a cheap, modern imitation of Don Quijote: the larger-than life character humorously engages in a life "noble" only unto himself. However, as I arrived in New Orleans I decided I wanted to do a little "theme" reading. I am glad I did. This book is now one of my favorites, and I definitely think the character, although inspired by, is not limited to Cervantes' classic. In the story Ignatius attempts to make his way through a banal world through his percieved mastery of medival ethics, righteousness, and my favorite, geometry. I doubt I have ever laughed as much while reading as I did with this book. (David Sedaris is close, though) Also, the personal story behind the novel adds depth and interest. A local author of New Orleans committed suicide without ever publishing his work. A distraught mother convinced a reluctant Tulane professor to read his script, and the book eventually won the Pultizer. Yours in Anger, Nels

No comments: